Tuesday, December 27, 2011

CHERISH THAT CHERISHED ITEM IN YOUR HOME



CHERISH THAT CHERISHED ITEM IN YOUR HOME


    It is the new year… a time of the year I dwell on more serious thoughts (perhaps it is no more philosophical then NOT dwelling on all the food I have been stuffing in my face). And I thought about the one design item I cherish in my home décor.
   I am referring to the item that if I moved… I would always take with me! And the item I would find a place for in my new abode… no matter the size of the item or the size of the space. My close friend refers to it as her “feel good piece.” This is different then the “sentimental piece” you keep, even if it is less then beautiful, because you cherish the person who gave it to you and it keeps that person close even if they are gone.
   My girlfriend made the distinction. She has a ballerina lamp that her Mother, long deceased, hand painted and added items to make it more personal. Although she admitted that it was somewhat gaudy… she would take it with her and use it in her bedroom… always! But I persevered! What about something you have, probably purchased, that you cherish because of its design beauty and/or distinction? She bought a rug from Home Goods some time ago that is loved for its style and especially the vibrant colors. She will take and use that rug wherever she goes. (Since her house is for sale that may be very soon). Her gorgeous home interiors are built around these particular colors that she will  carry through in her new home.
   In my apartment I have a painting that I cherish. It is about 5 feet tall and it has moved many, many times. Its first home was a 5000 square foot turn-of-the century house in the South… and has resided in several New York City apartments… the first was a one bedroom.  You get my point…I always made it work!!! When I lived in the South my antique collector friend called from New Orleans one afternoon. I am with a dealer he explained, who purchased an antique furniture lot, and one painting came with it. He didn’t want the painting and would sell it for $500 but it could not be returned. Not to mention that my friend, emphatically told me, that if he schlepped the painting over 2 hours hanging out of his car (pre SUV’s) I was stuck with it, if I liked it or not. Since he had remarkable taste in furniture, accessories and art and we often made a beeline to the same artwork in galleries… I took a chance!
   Like… it was LOVE at first sight! 

I know nothing about the artist even with all the research on the internet. The painting’s signature says DUNLAP and was applied to the canvas with stick on letters that are peeling off. What does that say about the artist… my imagination is racing. Did he want to keep the owner of the painting constantly guessing? Was it a statement of the permanence of the art itself versus the artist who painted it? Was it a message or an insight into the painter’s psyche? The bottom of the painting is clearly a copy of Johannes Vermeer’s famous painting “Girl with a Pearl Earring” residing at the Mauritshuis in the Hague

The top portion of the painting is a portrait of a man, eyes starring, much like the girl’s gaze which is as intimate as it is intense, with nail heads on two sides and the word FINIS screened in white paint on white paint… discreet but visible.

 Is it a self portrait of the painter? How did it end up in an antique cache? It is exquisitely painted! Even the Vermeer portion is crackled to look worn and old. Every time I look at it, hanging prominently in my living room (even if it skews the symmetry of my couch and coffee table… not an easy thing for an interior designer) I stop and think how lucky I am to own it. I wish I could tell the painter how much I cherish it.
   So stop and look at your space and take note of that piece (or pieces) that makes your home, even if you have the same sofa with the same fabric that hundreds of other people own… uniquely yours. And CHERISH it.
   By the way… if anyone can shed any information on the artist… please contact me through our Facebook page, Prince Segal Design, or email me at Chris@princesegaldesign.com. I would really appreciate it!!!! Or if you would like to share one of your cherished items with my followers… send a picture with any details and I will post it. 

Chris Nicole Prince
12/27/2011  


No comments:

Post a Comment